Monday, October 30, 2006

Copyrighted Material and YouTube

In recent weeks, I have heard much about YouTube but never actually taken a tour. So, when I came across yet another article about this site today, I thought that the inevitable could no longer be avoided...

Upon immediate inspection, there were a few things that I was frustrated by (am I doing something wrong?):

1) You can only select one clip to play at any one time so when this is over (about 5 mins or less), you have to return to the computer and select another.
2) From my first comment, you can probably guess that I only really enjoyed the music clips. So much of the video clips were just not very good (she said politely).
3) Although I have seen the ‘star ratings’, they are often off the mark (I suspect that this is a result of one person rating their own clip). Is there a way of viewing only the most popular?

Coming back to the article that sparked this, a YouTube user posted that ‘YouTube were purging copyrighted material’ on NewsCloud.com and this was subsequently reported by The New York Times. Two issues here:
1) Do the open community websites have measures to prevent fake stories being published?
2) Is the copyrighted material the best bit of YouTube?

Finally, are the crowds fickle enough to move to every new site that offers copyrighted material or is this a case of the grass is always greener on the other site...?

http://www.newscloud.com/

No comments: